Monday, January 31, 2011

Don't Be A Hypocrite!

Luke 6:41-42 (NIV)
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

   I really like these verses. So many times we look down on others for something they've done, without realizing we are guilty too! I hate it when I see an acquaintance, who I know has problems, being judgemental of one of my friends. (Although I'm definitely guilty of doing the same.)
   Don't be a hypocrite. If you go on a rant about something, don't do it yourself. Don't judge people for doing things that you know you are guilty of. This is not saying that you can only give constructive criticism, correction, or teaching if you are perfect and have no problems that you should work on.
   If you are correcting someone of something you are also guilty of, do so carefully. And explain that you are guilty of the same thing. (I would only do this to a close friend.) If 2 friends are trying to correct something in their lives that they both struggle with, often they can help each other.
   Being judgemental is very different then seeing an issue, and approaching some one on it because you care about them. Try to do the latter, and not the former.

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment