Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Got a task? Do it well!

   I was reading some more of the book Do Hard Things yesterday. (Great book by the way. I highly reccomend it.) And they had a quote by Martin Luther King Jr. And since The holiday to remember him passed by so recently, I thought I would share my thoughts on it. Here is the quote:

If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures. Sweep streets like Beetoven composed music. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say: Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well.

   In case you didn't get the point of that quote, he's saying that even if you have the lowliest, most simple job, put 100% into it.
   It reminded me of 1 Corinthians 10:31. Which says: So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
   That verse has the same kind of lesson to it as the quote, but puts more of a reason behind it. Do any task you are assigned as if God himself had told you to do it and He is watching you. Do it to glorify God.
   You may ask, well how can I bring glory to God by doing the dishes or cleaning my room? Well He sees all you do. If you put your all into a simple task, he might very well put you over a large task someday. 

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment