Saturday, January 29, 2011

Be Joyful Always

1 Thessalonians 5:16
Be joyful always.

   I've always wondered about this verse. In the context, Paul is telling Silas and Timothy words of advice. Such as "pray continually" "always give thanks." I would say these are something between a command and advice. Like 'if you do these things you will benefit. If you do not it will hurt you.' I say that it is not a direct command, because obviously there are times to be mournful. There are times to be upset. Even times to be angry, if it is a righteous anger. I think Paul was more saying "watch your attitude." If you are a storm cloud all the time, you will likely bring brothers and sisters in the Lord down instead of lifting them up.
   Think about someone you know who always seems to be smiling. Who is always happy and is always looking on the bright side of things. I can think of 2 of my friends who are like that. They brighten the room. It's always a joy to talk to them. Sure they are serious sometimes, but they never let a situation get them down. I really think we should strive to be like that.
   Something I've been trying to do, is when something bad happens, I try to think of good things that have come out of it. It really works. Or things that haven't gone wrong. Or how much God has blessed me, and now I need to accept this one thing that I don't like.
  I challenge you today to live out this verse!

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment