Thursday, February 3, 2011

Trust

   I had a realization today while I was skating with a very close friend of mine. I love skating backwards but I don't like running into people. She also likes skating backwards. We decided to have one person facing forward, physically directing the person who was skating backwards. When I was directing her, I had a huge responsibility. She was trusting me not to run her into a wall, or any person. She was trusting me not to let go of her, or make her go too fast. Likewise, I had to trust her while I skated backwards. I knew her well enough to know that she wouldn't misguide me or let me go. I trusted her to make sure I didn't injure myself or anyone else.
   Why did I trust her? Well she has never broken my trust. She has kept any secrets I've told her. She has given me good advice. She has always lived up to her word, and I can't recall her breaking a promise. Also, I've spent a lot of time with her. By knowing how much she cares, even for little things, I know she would care about me enough to not pull something on me. I also know, she has pushed me out of my comfort zone and helped me expand it. She has pointed out things I should work on and encouraged me. She has told me the honest truth when I asked for it. And I love her as a fellow sister in Christ, and I know she loves me the same way. I would trust her with my life.
   Now, why don't we trust God that way? Why don't we trust Him when we are blindly being lead by Him? If you can recall times when you trusted God like that, what came out of it? I'm sure He didn't let you down. Also, I was able to trust her because I had spent time with her. I knew her personality. I knew how much she cared about me. I knew she had never let me down before. How much more God? Do you spend as much time with God as you do with your friends? Do you trust God to lead you out of your comfort zone? Have you ever been pushed out of your comfort zone by a trusted counselor in your life? I know I have by my youth leaders of my youth group many times. Then knew I needed to expand in that area so they pushed me out of my comfort zone. I was rather upset with them at first, but now, I am so glad they did.
  There will probably be a time when I am betrayed by a very close friend. Even a christian friend. There will be a time when I am incredibly hurt by them. There will be a time when they will abandon me. But God wont. He has never done any of these things to me. I have no reason not to trust Him. The Bible is full of stories of His loyalty.
  Jesus should be our best friend. How much are you willing to trust Him?

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment