Tuesday, February 22, 2011

To live is Christ

   Here's a thought I had last night. When Jesus went into heaven He said He was coming back. (John 14:28.) Now pretty much all of his followers assumed He was returning in their life times. Could that be one of the reasons they all preached the gospel so fervently? Nowadays we have seen that Jesus hasn't come back yet, and while we know He will, it could be another 2000 years from now! Or it could be in an hour. So we do send out missionaries, but we tend to think that we have time before He returns.
   As Jesus rose back into heaven after saying He would come back, I can picture the disciples thinking, "He's coming back! Oh my goodness! He might be coming back in a couple of days! I need to go tell everyone I know about Him!" And even as the years progressed that still might be thinking that he would come back before they died.
   Most of us Christians have grown way to comfortable. Obviously there are some people God has called to the mission field and others that God has called to stay at home, but even at home we need to be missionaries. We are afraid to share the gospel because it is out of our comfort zone, we might mess up, it might make your friendship with that person weird, it might ruin your reputation, etc. The disciples honestly didn't care about that stuff. I mean Paul wasn't afraid to send letters to churches confronting them on areas where they had stumbled. That definitely might have affected the way they felt about Him.
   If the 12 disciples were here today, that would say we were wimps and caught up in worldly pleasures. And they would be completely right.

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment