Thursday, June 9, 2011

Update

   Goodness It's been a while! I have been overwhelmed for the last month. I finished school, had a giant family reunion, got the flu, went to my friend's house in Chelan WA for 10 days, did testing this morning, and I am currently coming down with a cold.
   For everyone who doesn't know, I have a very close friend of mine who lives in Chelan. On here, I will just call her "O." O and I have been best friends since we met in 2009. My youth group assisted her church in putting on a VBS, and she and I have emailed and talked on the phone ever since then. We also have long visits at each other's houses.
   So anyway, and was at her house for the past 10 days. I know her church pretty well, as well as her youth group, and most of her friends. Her youth group is lead by her youth pastor, and his wife leads a girl's bible study. Both of them are wonderful, God-fearing people, who know me as well as they know O. And I very much enjoy hearing her youth pastor speak.
   But the people in her youth group are drastically different from my youth group. My youth group has firm standards, and I can confidently say that many of the youth are strong Christians. Sadly, at O's youth group, it's mostly flirtatious girls, who are immodestly dressed, and don't come to hear the message. And when you combine that with the guys, there is tons of flirting, hugging, lap-sitting etc. going on.
   It bothers both O and me, and a few other people. One of my main concerns, is that someone will become a christian, and then just be dragged down by everyone else. I know I have always looked up to the older girls in youth group, but in O's youth group, there is no good role model among the youth. So if one of the jr. high girls becomes saved, who is she going to look up to?
   Is a youth group meant to be a place where christian youth build each other up, and learn? Or an outreach where non-christians hang out, and might possibly pay attention to a message? O and I have decided to pray fervently about it for a week, and then decide if we should compose and email with our concerns and suggestions. What do you think?

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment