Today at youth group, my youth pastor was teaching on Luke 12:16-21. He gave some funny examples a little later, such as:
"So lets say that someone, after they die, says to Jesus 'look at all the clothing I have accumulated! I have spent my whole life trying to look my best, and spending all my time and money getting the trendiest styles!' And Jesus will say 'well you may have had that, but that is puny compared to MY closet.'" (at this point we were all laughing and a few of us managed to choke out "just how biblical is this analogy?")
And then he said something that really hit me. But first I have to explain something. So That day I had been comparing myself to one of my closet friends all day. Basically because she is better than me at everything I excel at. Better at piano, better at dance, and soon to be better at horseback riding. And I was thinking about how I needed to work on getting better at some of my abilities. And so at youth group, My youth pastor said "Our abilities and talents in sports and such, are going to amount nothing when we get to heaven." And as I was thinking about that, I felt the Lord speak to me and say "She may be better than you at playing the piano, but all I really care about if is you praise and glorify me with your music." It doesn't matter how good I am with horses, it is going to mean nothing in heaven. It doesn't matter if I'm an olympian in gymnastics, it is going to mean NOTHING when I get to heaven. If I spent my whole life becoming an olympian, then died, all that time would amount to nothing.
I was very humbled by that.
~Melody
No comments:
Post a Comment