I spent last week vacationing with my family in Eastern WA. It was a strange feeling. Eastern Washington never feels like a vacation spot to me, it feels like my home. When I was finally able to go up to Wenatchee and Chelan to see my friends there, I felt such a rush of emotions.
As we drove along the winding highway next to the Columbia, it suddenly hit me how hard it was to leave that place four months earlier. My eyes stared at the familiar hills and ridges, which seemed more beautiful than any other. I saw familiar landmarks and places where fond memories had been made. I reminisced the long drive home on which I balled my eyes out and fought every fiber of my being to not turn around. I had actually left a couple days early, because the dread of leaving was eating away at me. It was all I could think about, and I was sad all the time because I knew I had to go.
Seeing old friends was definitely the highlight. When I got to my best friend's house and started making dinner, it felt like nothing had changed. Later we did some crazy stuff and laughed at ridiculous things in her room just like we used to. And as the sun set, we laid out on her roof and watched the stars appear. Oh those stars... I miss the night sky in Chelan almost as much as I miss the people. After a while, I moved up to the higher roof to be alone, and sat up there talking to God and contemplating life. I wanted to cry so much. I wanted to let myself break just this once. But instead I felt God showing me how I can be content with my life right now. And so I spent a good 45 minutes singing praises and admiring the milky way.
Isaiah 54:10
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my
unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be
removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you.
~Melody
No comments:
Post a Comment