Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thoughts on humility

   So I was just reviewing a list that contained thoughts on humility, and one of them said "Jesus was humble even before He entered into this world. Without humility He would not have come." I read that, and then a passage from Philippians 2 came to mind.

Philippians 2:5-8
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross!"

   I think these verses indicate that he was not "humble" in heaven. It seems to me it was His love that caused him to come to earth and in doing so humble himself. God has no reason to be humble. He himself says "I am a jealous God." But those are just my thoughts on it.
   Actually, the main thing that stood out to me was the line "He humbled himself and became obedient to death." I personally struggle with the idea of how to make myself humble. But this verse seems to illustrate that you humble yourself by submitting to God's will. And that is a very practical way to gain humility.

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment