I am not entirely sure why, but I have always loved in the bible when it talks about God providing water in the desert for His people. An example is Psalms 78:16 which says "He brought streams out of a rocky crag and made water flow down like rivers." Or Isaiah 48:18 "I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water and the parched ground into springs." Maybe I love these analogies because I love water. Ever since I was little I have always been most comfortable in the water (as long as I am not freezing). My neighbors around the lake I live on used to call me a fish, and I pretty much lived in my swimsuit. This is petty, but random fact about me: whenever I think of heaven, I have always thought about swimming in the crystal sea.
Whatever the reason, I especially love the image of God taking a dry, desolate, and essentially dead place, and providing water.... basically giving it life. I adore this, because I see this take place in my life. I see parts of myself that are dry and dead, without hope of ever producing anything fruitful, and I see God bring it to life. There are many times that I cry out to God and I feel His peace overwhelm me. To me it feels as if my troubled heart is suddenly drenched, and everything is calm and alright.
One of my favorite camp songs goes like this:
God in heaven take this heart of mine
Dry and dusty but with love divine
satisfy this thirst inside you'll find
God in heaven take this, take this heart of mine
God in heaven like a gentle rain
On this desert wont You fall again
God in heaven take this, take this heart of mine
~Melody
No comments:
Post a Comment