I don't have a whole lot to say on this subject because there are hundreds of books about dating and marriage from a Christan view. (And I've read at least 15 of them myself.) I think the single most important thing about a relationship is that it glorifies God. And I think saving yourself physically is one of the best ways you can live out that principle. And let me just say that dating before you are ready to get married is pointless, hurtful, and stupid. (Sorry to any one I just called stupid.)
So the other day I was thinking about marriage in the bible. Planned marriages were normal, and often you knew who you were going to marry growing up. Girls would get engaged when they were 10-13 and the engagement lasted a year. Guys were usually a few years older, sometimes a lot older. Think about that for a minute.... I've grown up rather independent, but at 10 my life consisted of school work and play dates. At 12 I was confused and I didn't understand what was going on with me physically and emotionally.
Now of course back then kids grew up really fast. There were no "teenage care-free years." And it makes me wonder, what age did God intend for us to marry at? Anyone know what age God created Adam and Eve at? lol
Our bodies are ready for it when we're early teens, but our intellect isn't ready until we're in our 20's. (For most people.) Now I'm not saying we should start getting married at 13 and 14 again, but do you really think that's how it is supposed to be? 6-8 years of hormones that you can't do anything with? And I think that's why people have started dating so early. Even though their bodies are ready, they're not yet mature enough. So they find ways to deal with hormones until they're older. Bad ways.
Anyways... those are just some random ideas to ruminate.
~Melody
No comments:
Post a Comment