A few weeks ago I asked a close, married, friend of mine how important physical attraction was for a relationship. At that point I hadn't even met the quirky guy I now call my boyfriend. Her response was kind of funny... She said something along the lines of "Well I guess sometimes I see guys who are handsome, and most people would probably say they are better looking than my husband, but it doesn't really occur to me or seem to matter. There is no one else I'd want to be with."
I used to think there was a certain formula for what was needed to find the right guy. I had to be a certain percentage attracted to his personality, his looks, and his faith. With his godliness overarching it all. I laugh at that now because I can't think of a single formula to fit my relationship with my tea-loving barista. Yes I find him more attractive than any guy I know... some girls would disagree with me. His quirky personality is fantastic but occasionally drives me crazy... I don't think I would want it any other way though. His godly attitude amazes me. We share of a disdain for sports and love of adventuring outdoors. We both value honesty and are open, real, and blunt (actually that's usually just me) despite uncomfortableness or awkwardness (which we both seem immune to). I like coffee, he doesn't. He likes rock climbing, I'd fall to my death. I love ballroom dancing, he rave dances in the youth group sound booth with his roommates. He is incredibly smart and talented at practically everything, I can... um..... make food. But he is my best friend. He hasn't replaced my very dear girl friends back home, but he has made his own place in my heart.
And he loves me. I know that because he is patient with me when I'm fickle. I know that because he is kind to me when I am grumpy. I know because he is respectful towards me and never rude. I know because he often does what I'd prefer to do rather than what he would prefer. I know because he never gets angry and never remembers stupid things I have said or done. Mostly I know this because he strives to honor God with our relationship and draws me nearer to Christ. He tells me what I need to hear not what I want to hear when it comes to areas of my life I should work on. And yet, he never asks me to be anything but myself.
In the end we are both human. We are both going to make mistakes. But we know that, and expect that, and love has a way of covering over mistakes.
I don't know what kind of formula for Mr. Right that is.... But it is perfect for me.
-Melody
No comments:
Post a Comment