Saturday, October 4, 2014

Recognizing Beauty In The Desert

   I was driving today and I glanced around, and for one of the first times since I have been here I found myself in awe of the beauty of the shrub-covered rolling desert hills. The fact that I was admiring them even caught me off guard. They are indeed beautiful, and it is not that I have never appreciated the beauty of California, but every time I sit on the ridge behind the dorms and look out at the sun dipping below the hills, I find myself in another place. Back home. Whether it be sitting on the roof in Chelan to watch the stars come out, or the moment of elation when I reach the peak of the mountain I have been climbing, or the cool relief of night air that refreshes me after swing dancing, or even the soft stillness as I sit by the water and listen to its whispers. But never had I been able to look out and just appreciate the desert view in itself, without having to daydream of fond memories back home. Suddenly those textured sage-green hills were beautiful in and of themselves. And I feel myself adjusting just a little bit more
   On the note of adjusting, my food allergies have started giving me trouble again. This makes life difficult... and is making me rethink whether missions is really where God is leading me. Ultimately my plans for the future are entirely up in the air... And my earthly desires change from day to day. But ultimately my desire is that God's will be done, and I know that his plan for my life is what my future will be, so I'm not too anxious about it.

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment