Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Let Christ quench your thirsts

   Right now I have a sore throat. I absolutely detest sore throats because to me, intense thirst is one of the worst things to experience. And when I have a sore throat, I feel like no matter how much I drink, I can't satisfy my thirst. I have literally consumed a gallon of water in a day trying to quench my thirst!
   But this got me thinking about other types of thirst. Different kinds of longings. I'm reminded of that quote from Crazy Love "I thirst to be made more thirsty still." In this case the thirst is for God. For his Word. For his companionship. That's the best kind of thirst to have. But thirst for other things can be more prominent. For instance, a thirst to be in a relationship. To be loved by someone. Or maybe it's a longing to please someone. Whatever it is, it can easily start to consume our thoughts.
   We need to pursue God as the only thing that will quench our thirsts. We need to be fully satisfied in him and him alone. There's nothing wrong with looking forward to having a relationship with someone in the future, but when it becomes something we thirst for, we try to find ways to satisfy that thirst. Such as fantasizing. When really, when we notice an unhealthy longing creeping up, we should immediately submerge ourselves in the Word and lose ourselves in Christ. I need to allow Christ to fulfill all of my desires.

~Melody 

No comments:

Post a Comment