Monday, February 6, 2012

I've been missing out

   So this isn't exactly a biblical subject, but it is of high importance to me.
   Right now I'm at my best friend's house in a small town in eastern Washington. Every time I come over here I am reminded of just how important family and community is. I rediscover what family should look like and what a community should be like. I'm going to try to put my thoughts into words, but I'm not sure how eloquently it will come out.
   So I am reminded of what close sibling relationships look like. O and I went over to a friend's house. There are 4 siblings, and you can tell they are close friends. They tease each other, tackle each other, prank each other... They do everything together. And they treat O and I like siblings. I can confidently say that I've had some of the most fun times during the days I've spent at their house. I've gone over there quite a few times over the last couple years with O. We've been woken up by nerf guns and water guns, had water fights that lasted hours, gone swimming in the creek, played card games and board games for hours, had epic snowball fights, pillow fights, foam sword fights, we've jumped on a giant rubber inner tube until our jeans are covered in black marks, and played tag and hide-'n-go-seek after church every Sunday. I laugh so much with them. And every time I'm with them, I can't help but think that when I'm a mom, this is what I want my family to be like.
   I'm reminded of what community should be like. Every time we go into town we run into people we know. When some one is out of town and a storm hits, people check up on their house and animals. People smile and wave just to be friendly. Librarians and workers at shops and stores recognize O and often share a friendly word with her and her family, and occasionally give them discounts or say "no charge" for small purchases. A limo company sent a limo to a little girl's birthday party for transportation at no cost. People genuinely care for each other and do little and big things just to be nice. I miss that at home. I barely know my neighbors. They look at me strangely when I bring them cookies, like they wonder what I want in return.
   I also love the small church over here. I do love the church I go to, but it's easy to get lost in the 500 people. When I go to O's church, people remember me even though I barely ever come. I'm reminded of the first church I went to that was about the same size (about 90 people.) There is such a strong feeling of family. The adults have a desire to be an influence in the children's lives. And the teenagers aren't off in their own little groups. They play games with the younger kids after church.
   I feel like this is the way things should be, and I miss it when I go back home.

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment