Monday, July 25, 2011

Short rant

   You know what bothers me? When people tell you how not to pray. They say things like "Don't be vague" and "You shouldn't pray for patience or wisdom because of Ephesians 1:3 (Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.) Instead, you should pray that God would help you use the wisdom you have."   Ok, so I know that it's good to be specific in prayer. I mean saying "God, please bless everyone I know and keep them safe, Amen." is not very.... You know what I mean. But at the same time, what if I want to pray for people who have cancer, but I don't know anyone who has it. Should I really make a huge effort to be specific in that case? Or is it ok to simply say "God, please heal those who have cancer, and give them the strength they need."
   And when I am unsure of what to do in a situation, I am going to pray for wisdom! If I feel like I'm going blow up at someone, I am going to ask God for patience.
   Sometimes it's a good idea to try something new like using the ACTS method of prayer (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication) every once in a while. But when you are paying more attention to following "rules for prayer" then what you're actually saying to God, there is a problem.
   Sometimes when I pray, I just tell God about my day. I tell him what I enjoyed, and what upset me. Other times I'll beg for something I really want such as healing for my sister, or salvation for a friend. And other times, I'll thank him for some blessings that stood out to me during my day, and pray for some people who come to mind. I don't think any of the ways I pray are wrong, and I don't think it's wrong if someone prays differently. No one but you and God know what goes on between you and God.
   Seriously, if you yourself are being convicted to pray differently, then do so. But when people tell me it's wrong to pray a certain way.... I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment