I feel like I am in a growth spurt. Not physically, but in maturity and generally in life. Last year at this time, I was twitterpainted by a guy who seemed to be everything I had ever looked for in a significant other. I knew where I was going to go to school for the next two years. I knew where I wanted to live. I had ideas for what I wanted to do long-term. But God had different ideas. This guy I was interested in ended up not being the one for me. To my understanding we semi-mutually broke up, but a few months of crying and heart-break followed. Through that I realized I needed certain attributes and character traits in a spouse that I had never considered. My dream school turned into a nightmare and my constant struggle was controlling my emotions as I felt battered emotionally, physically, and spiritually. I couldn't keep up with anything and I lacked a strong friend group. And at the end of possibly the most draining and difficult period of my life, I met the man I am now engaged to.
We both knew within the first month that we wanted to be married eventually, though he was much more sure of it than I was initially. I would venture to say he knew within the first week that he wanted to make me his wife. The past 5 months have been unique to say the least.
You mature in a different way when your best friend (soon to be other half) is by your side giving input on the matters of your life. You find reactions that are stifled when talking to anyone else suddenly emerge. In a lot of ways you find out how terrible of a person you are. But you also become extra motivated to become more Christ-like.
I changed in the process of moving to a different state by myself, making huge school-related decisions, mostly supporting myself, and getting in a serious relationship. I believe if I met the person I was last year I wouldn't know her. I would probably be embarrassed for her. And as I prepare to go home, find myself wondering if past foolishness or immaturity will loom over me. For a few friendships I wish I could just have a blank slate and start over.
But I take great comfort in God's grace that is extended to me. And on a less spiritual level, I take great comfort in knowing I don't have to do life on this earth alone. The future is much less intimidating when you're with your soul mate.
~Melody
No comments:
Post a Comment