Funny story about this post.... I started it 5 months ago and forgot about it.... But then I remembered some of what I wanted to say so here ya go :)
Okay so let me start off by saying I love Solomon. I love how real he is, how blunt he is, and how human he is. Also his writings are my favorite. Ecclesiastes is my favorite book of all time and I've lost track of how many times I have read it. See, I look at Daniel and think, "Wow, he is a great person to aspire to be like, but man... does faith like his seem unattainable or what?" And sometimes when I look at people like Daniel I get so caught up in my own short comings. I compare, which I shouldn't do.But I love Solomon because I relate to him. He fell to worldly desires and made stupid mistakes like I do.
This guy starts off on track with God. God says he will give him anything he desires, and Solomon says he wants wisdom, which God is pleased by (showing Solomon had freewill btw), and gives him every earthly treasure imaginable as well as tons of wisdom. So at this point you're thinking this guy has it all... But something strange happens. The more he gathers earthly treasures and tries to find happiness in them, the more unhappy he becomes. Now a normal person I don't think would be able to properly articulate what is running through their mind at this point, but Solomon is so wise, that I feel like he communicates it perfectly. And the book in which he rambles about his frustrations is Ecclesiastes. He is also incredibly blunt... In 9:9 he tells you to "go and enjoy your meaningless life, all of your meaningless days!" Pretty sure if I walked up to people and told them "have a great meaningless day! Your whole life is meaningless by the way!" I wouldn't have any friends. But Solomon can get away with this because he is the most powerful man in the world at the time.
It's not just humor I find in Solomon though, his insight in incredible. If I got started on verses in Ecclesiastes that I love, this post would last for pages, so maybe another day. You know that analogy that God's knowledge is like the ocean and we are like a tea cup? I think when God gave Solomon wisdom, he upgraded to a mug.
I think over all, the most important lesson to learn from Solomon is just because you have wisdom doesn't mean you will always be inclined to act on it. Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived but he did very foolish things. Who need 700 wives and 300 concubines anyways?!
Anyways.... maybe another day I'll have Ecclesiastes ramblings.
~Melody
No comments:
Post a Comment