Monday, May 21, 2012

Predestination and Freewill

   We've been talking about this in Sunday School. It is another one of those controversial subjects that my parents and my church disagree on. So does everyone have the opportunity to be saved? Or is it just a few that God hand picked? Do those few have a choice? Do we ever have a choice or are we robots?

  Here's a passage:

Romans 8:28-30 (NIV)

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

   So the first verse basically says God works for the good of those who have been called. For verse 29 I would like to present a question: Is there anyone that God hasn't foreknown? Is there anybody on this earth that just popped up one day and God said "Well how did that get there? I don't remember making that!" Of course not. On the other hand, this verse and verse 30 don't sound like He's referring to everyone in the world. So if you are looking at it from my church's point of view,  He specifically chose a couple, it was not their choice to become a Christian at all. It was God's choice for them. And yet they say that we have a free will. And we have to have a free will. If we didn't have a free will, it would be God's fault that we sin because we don't have a will to do it. But do we sin because of God? Of course not! (James 1:13-15.) Therefore we have to have some sort of a free will. At the same time, God is all-powerful. He can do whatever pleases Him.
   Then there is Romans 9. I have a lot of trouble with Romans 9. In verses 11-13 it says that God hated Esau before he ever sinned! Or in verse 17 where it basically says Pharaoh's purpose in life was to be a tool to show God's power. If God chooses exactly who is going to be saved, I'm not talking about he knows that they will become Christians, I'm talking about he chooses them to be Christians, Then non-Christians don't have a chance! They are destined for destruction before they are even born. It's like creating a pot only to smash it. Or saving a dog from being put down, only to abuse and torture it. It doesn't make sense!
   And yet, in verse 15 God says: “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

And 1 Corinthians 2:16 "“For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?..." 
Basically, who are you to question what I do? You can't even understand it! And that's where I have to stop, and realize, that I really can't fully understand it. So I'm going to leave it at: God knows what he is doing, and I can rest assured that it is just. In my opinion the bible has verses that support both views, and yet it doesn't contradict itself. Go ahead and disagree with me, I don't care. lol

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment