Sunday, September 4, 2011

Slavery

   Before you read this post, let me say that someone who knows Greek might have better insight into this topic than me.

   Slavery. The "necessary" evil. The thing that started the civil war. I have often wondered about slavery in the bible. Everyone thinks as slavery as a horrible thing that should never happen. There are a couple different points I want to go over.

1. Slavery in the bible. Especially in the old testament, slaves were common for most anyone who had wealth. Often slaves were prisoners of war. And rather than speaking out against slavery, God tells masters to treat their slaves kindly and with respect. Not to threaten them (Ephesians 6:9.) But slaves were very low. And most of the time they were not treated kindly. But those with good masters were often offered freedom after a certain amount of time, given at least some wages, and generally became one of the family. In fact, some slaves would we given freedom, but decide to stay. So I have come to a conclusion. because of the society and the time period, slavery was not evil. Not even a necessary evil. But, it was evil to mistreat slaves. (And as I'm saying that, I'm wondering what basis I have for that after reading Exodus 21:20-21.) Well I guess I don't have this all figured out. So just some food for thought. :)

2. Bond slaves. Someone who loves his master so much that he becomes his slave. We are bond slaves to Christ. (But also sons and daughters.) We should love him so much that we want to be His slave and serve Him in every possible way. (more on that in the first paragraph here: http://www.goodnewsarticles.com/Mar00-3.htm)

Psalm 123:2 "As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, till he shows us his mercy."

3. Slaves after biblical times. Slavery continued, and in Europe for a while they had "surfs" who were basically slaves. And then of course, in the south when they shipped Africans over to America to work on plantations. It is true that many slaves/surfs were treated very badly during that time. And I really do think that it was evil. Not necessary at all.

4. Willingly being a slave to others. Matthew 20:27, Mark 10:44 1 Corinthians 9:19

5. Slave to sin then righteousness. John 8:32,34&36, Romans 6,
~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment