Friday, March 18, 2011

Be a friend

   Have you ever gone someplace full of strangers all by yourself? I'm sure you have at some point, unless you are lucky enough to have siblings tagging along with you. Well I definitely know that that is like. I also know that it makes things all the more difficult if no one is a friend to you.
   My first year at home school co-op, I pretty much only had one friend. I ate lunch with her all year. She took pity on me, and was a friend to me. I was 8, she was 9 or 10. Having one friend made my first year tons of fun. How would it have turned out if she hadn't come up to me and invited me to eat lunch with her?
   I started attending a new church when I was 12. I had never attended youth group before, and now I was going to one where I didn't know any one. It was really hard. One of the youth leaders was really kind to me, but all of the girls had there own friends. Sure they said hi to me, but that was it. Don't get me wrong, these girls are my best friends now, but then they didn't try to be friends with me. Reading my prayer journal from then, I am shocked to find that I continually asked God to help me fit in. I am shocked at this, because now the church is my family! The youth group is filled with my brothers and sisters. They are all very dear to me. It seems strange now, but then it was not. It took me at least a year to start feeling at home.
   I don't want anyone to have to go through that. So when a new girl comes to youth group, I make a point to sit by here, stick by her side, introduce her to people, and be a friend to her! The rest of my friends say "hi" to her, and I do my best to help her be included in our conversations.
   I haven't had to be alone in a new place for a few years, but I am going to, tomorrow, and next school year. I know a few people, but I am nervous about not knowing the teachers, or very many girls there.
   Please be a friend to new people in places where you are familiar. It may very well be out of your comfort zone, but if you do it enough it wont be. And it means to much to those who you reach out to as a friend.

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment